The social landscape is changing quickly. In order to win, social marketers need to listen and engage where their audience is. This takes a plan. Here’s some help to develop one.
Get to know your audience.
Get to know your target audience. Understand who your ideal audience is and what they care about it. Ask these questions:
- Who is your ideal audience following on social media?
- What topics are they discussing/posting about?
- What is their age group?
- Where are they (geographical location)?
- What type of content are they regularly interacting with?
Thoroughly research your audience. This ensures your social media marketing efforts are effective. To reach a wider audience, know the channels available.
Go where they are.
Focus on the channels your audience prefers. Take the initiative to explore the usage and demographics for each each platform. Pew Research looks at social media platforms. Look them up and do your research.
Maximize your ROI.
Be thoughtful and strategic about when and where you’ll maintain a social presence.
Here are some statistics to consider:
- 79% of internet users (68% of all U.S. adults) use Facebook. Pew Research
- Facebook is the most-used social media site by Americans 12 and up. Edison
- Posts with images see 2.3 times more engagement than those without images. Buzzsumo
- Facebook users engage – 76% log on daily, including 55% who do so several times a day. Pew
- Facebook sends 82% of social media traffic to longer stories and 84% of social traffic to shorter news articles. Pew
- Facebook Messenger has 1.2 billion monthly active users worldwide. Statista
- Twitter has 313 million monthly active users. Twitter
- 24% of internet users (21% of all U.S. adults) use Twitter. Pew
- 42% of Twitter users log on daily, including 23% who do several times a day. Pew
- There are 500 million Tweets per day or about 6,000 per second. InternetLiveStats
- Video is the fastest-growing media type on Twitter. Twitter
- LinkedIn has 106 million users. LinkedIn
- 29% of internet users (25% of all U.S. adults) use LinkedIn. LinkedIn
- 18% of LinkedIn users log on daily. Pew
- 92% of B2B marketers leverage LinkedIn over all other social platforms. LinkedIn
- Snapchat has over 100 million daily users. Snapchat
- 54% of Shapchat users log on daily. Adweek
- Snapchat users watch over 10 billion videos per day. Snapchat
- 400 million Snaps are sent daily. Adweek
- Instagram has 500 million monthly active users. Statista
- 51% of Instagram users log on daily. Pew
- 32% of internet users (28% of all U.S. adults) use Instagram. Instagram
- Over 95 million photos and videos are shared on Instagram every day. Instagram
- YouTube is the world’s second largest search engine and third most visited site after Google and Facebook. Pulse
- There are 3,25 billion hours of video watched each month. Statistic Brain
- The most viewed brand videos are on average 31 – 60 seconds long. Social Bakers
- Pinterest has 150 million users. Pinterest
- 31% of internet users (26% of all adults) use Pinterest. Pew
- 87% of Pinners have purchased something on Pinterest, while 93 % plan to do so. Pinterest
- WhatsApp has more than 1.3 billion monthly active users. Statista
- WhatsApp is most popular in markets outside the U.S. Statista
- WeChat has more than 938 million active users. eMarketer
- 50% of users use WeChat for at least 90 minutes a day. WeChat
- The average WeChat user sends 74 messages per day. WeChat
Be sure you’re focused where your target audience is.
Strive to engage with your audience to win.